Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rhubarb Custard Bars

Ok, so as a preface I must say that I do NOT like Rhubarb. And a co-worker would make these and I would always decline one because I don't like rhubarb, well, one day I tried them and I was SO t'd at myself for turning her down all those times because despite the name and how they look, they are DELICIOUS!!! But don't skimp on the fats cause that's what makes them so YUMMY!



Crust:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter

In bowl mix flour and sugar and cut in cold butter with knife or pastry blender. (I just put it in the kitchen aid for a bit and it works just fine.) Mix until coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 10 minutes at 350*

Custard Filling:
2 cups sugar
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 eggs, beaten
5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained**

Mix sugar and flour and beat in eggs and cream. Fold in rhubarb and pour over crust. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350*, or until custard sets. (Middle doesn't jiggle) Cool Completely.

Topping:

1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

Whip whipping cream, in separate bowl combine other ingredients and fold in whipped cream. Spread over top of cooled bars, cover and refrigerate. Cut into Bars when cooled.


**I like my rhubarb cut very fine. If you have a lot of rhubarb you can wash it, chop it and freeze it in ziploc bags so you can enjoy custard bars all year round!

No comments:

Post a Comment